"I know of no pursuit in which more real and important services can be rendered to any country than by improving its agriculture, its breed of useful animals, and other branches of a husbandman's cares."

- George Washington

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Today's Farmers

Man has been farming since God told Adam in Genesis chapter 3 "thou shalt eat the herb of the field" and to "till the ground from whence he was taken".  It has been disheartening to watch so many farms stop operating in the last 30 years.  I wonder sometimes about the food in the grocery store:  where did it come from?  Was it grown in a foreign country across the sea, picked while it was still green, then driven to a processing plant, until finally reaching its destination on the shelf at your local store?
The Farmer's Market in Greenville today was a feast to the eyes!  I loved seeing all the fruits and vegetables that are being grown and sold locally.  And everything was such a bargain!  For a moment I almost felt as if I was taken back in time as I watched couples walking hand in hand; she with a basket on her arm for fresh produce.  One shopper even rode up on a vintage bike to shop.
I went away feeling proud to be a country girl and for being a part of something timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment